Sunday 15 October 2017

Springbank Wood Finish Series

Springbank is one of the few remaining Campbeltown distilleries and located just around the corner from my Mother-in-laws house! Their Wood Finish Series from the early 2000s included a 14yo Port Wood Finish which was one of the first bottles of whisky I purchased.



It's taken a long time but I finally got round to finishing it (Heel Slaying) in a comparison with a drample of Claret Wood Finish from the same series which I received from @Pop_Noir

Both of these drams have a high ABV so I tried pouring and leaving with lids for 20 minutes.

Whisky : 14 year old Port Wood Finish (Dist:1989)
Characteristics : 700ml, 52.8% ABV
Colour : Old Gold
Nose : Wine, port, some faint licorice, some nuts
Palate: Mouth filling, chewy, pineapple and bitter orange, it's huge, obviously the 52,8% ABV gives you that but the mouth feel is fantastic, it hits you then quickly goes dry. Each new sip lubricates your mouth then it's immediately dried again.
Finish : Medium oily finish some pear and very drying, a little spice.
Overall : Slightly different notes from my previous review but it's still the same huge oily drying dram. I'm going to miss this one, it's sat at the back of my shelf for a while, I've swapped a few dramples but kept the last bit for myself.

Port Wood and Claret Wood
Whisky : 12 year old Claret Wood Finish (Dist:1997)
Characteristics : 700ml, 54.4% ABV
Colour : Deep Gold
Nose : Wine, dark chocolate fruit and nut
Palate : Initially similar to the Port - Mouth filling, chewy, some pineapple but the bitter orange is replaced by a buttery honey with lots of spice - it numbs the top of your mouth. A light smokey taste.
Finish : Smokey finish (I don't know if the barley was peated?) Longer than the Port, not as drying but very spicy.
Overall : This is another lovely dram, similar but also very different to the Port Finish - a lot more spice ion the palate and the finish and that strange, but not unpleasant, numbing of the top of the mouth!


No comments: